Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yookoso! email changes and site redesign

Hello all,

As you know I very rarely contact you so that must mean I am making another
big change to the site/mailing list. In fact, I am making three big
changes:

1. Redesigning the site. Mostly it will look the same but I have cleaned up
the HTML code, added the ability to report bad links and made some other
small improvements. Most importantly, I have switched entirely to using
UTF-8 encoding (I have also re-worked all the course notes to be UTF-8
encoded since they were kind of a mess before). This MAY mean that you have
to change your email reader settings to view the daily emails properly,
though most good programs these days will automatically display the proper
encoding so hopefully most of you won't notice any problems.

2. I am moving the site to a new server (this is part of the reason for the
switch to UTF-8). Typically, this is not something you should care about,
except that the IP address will be different so that may or may not affect
the ability of the daily emails to get to your inbox. Make sure you
whitelist the yookoso.com domain or do whatever else you need to on your
end to help ensure the emails get through.

3. I am updating to the latest version of the software (phplist) that I use
to send the emails. Along with this upgrade I am updating the email
template to hopefully display better, especially the subject lines which
sometimes become mojibake under the current setup.

Of course, all of this will transpire without the slightest problem
whatsoever ;-) Seriously, there may be a day (or three or four) where some
unexpected problems appear so please be patient. If you notice any problems
that last more than a few days, please email me and let me know so I can
try to fix them. It's always hard to get things just right across browsers,
platforms, etc. so don't assume that I will notice all site/email problems.


I don't have a specific date for making the above changes, but it *should*
be sometime in the next week.

Thanks and good luck with your study.
Jeff


To unsubscribe from this list visit
http://yookoso.com/phpList/?p=unsubscribe&uid=7d6adca25b7f78e7cb4eb0f506e9a587
To update your preferences visit
http://yookoso.com/phpList/?p=preferences&uid=7d6adca25b7f78e7cb4eb0f506e9a587

--
Powered by PHPlist, www.phplist.com --

No comments: